Thursday, July 5, 2012

At the Top:)


6 comments:

  1. I remember Parkside and Achilles staying at the Hostel my wife and I run "Bears Den Hostel" in Bluemont VA.

    I was so excited to see thru hikers as this is our first year running the Hostel. They were the only two here on April 16 and the first two I really got to connect with. We hung out for a while eating a talking. I shared stories of my 2011 hike and they shared stories of their past 1000 miles. Parkside really stood out to me as he was so mature for his age and had a great persona about him. He reminded me so much of my best friend Weston who died an untimely death at the age of 25. He looks and acts just like him. I went to bed that night with thoughts of the great Alaskan adventures I had with Weston. Thank you Parkside for bringing those great memories back to me.

    I get chills thinking of your tragic death. I have been praying for you, your family and Achilles. Every time I walk by your picture on our hiker board (you smiling give us a thumbs up) I think of our short but memorable visit. May God watch over you as you begin your new journey.

    Justin (Deal) and Patrice (Steadee) SOBO 2011
    Bears Den Caretakers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Parkside gave a thumbs up in so many of his pictures. His attitude was so positive. Youth and full of life. We miss him. Thank you so much, Steadee and Deal. Best of luck with your hostel:)

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the link you posted earlier to the warning video about cramping while swimming. I have shared it with my family. My oldest son, Sterling, is 23 and is hiking the Eastern Continental Trail. He met Parkside for a little while on the trail, but he hikes fast and does not stay with anyone for too long. You can see his brief mentions of Parkside from June 8-13 at trailjournals.com in the Eastern Continental Trail section. No pictures, unfortunately. He was quite sobered when he heard the news. He had just come down from Katahdin when he finally got cell service and heard, a week after the fact. He said that it put everything in perspective; life is so much more important than his hiking accomplishments. God bless you in this time of grief.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Glad you watched the video. Please have your family share it with as many people as they can. Lately since Paul's death, we have been hearing about a number of drowning accidents. We read Sterling's entries you mentioned. Sterling was probably like a hero to Paul for hiking all those miles and so quickly. We've been hearing from others, young like Paul and Sterling, who are thinking more about what's important in life and the need to appreciate every day. As Aeschylus wrote in his extraordinary tragedy, the Agamemnon, “the pain of grief brings wisdom and experience.”

      Delete
  3. To Mary Bernhardt and the Whole Bernhardt Family:

    Just today I came across the tragic story of your son's accidental death while hiking the Appalachian Trail. It hit home hard because I thru-hiked the AT in 1979 at the age of 18 after graduating a semester early from high school. And, like you, my Mom was also beside herself with worry when the family dropped me off on the approach trail to Springer Mt. in late March on the way back from a family spring break week in Florida.

    I want to let you know how much your grace and spirit and the words from your eulogy moved me. That Paul was only two weeks away from completing his dream is hard to accept -- both for his family and for him. But please know that I have no doubt that his journey was life-changing and life-affirming even as he strove to walk those final miles in Maine. My hike at a similar age changed the course of my life (I've pursued a career as a conservation advocate) and still remains among my life's greatest accomplishments.

    If I would have known and could have been there, I'd have loved to have walked up Mt. Katahdin those very last miles along with Parkside's trail buddies to honor his accomplishment and the vibrant, strong man he was clearly becoming. Please know that my thoughts are with you and your family at this difficult time -- and I hope your upcoming visit to Maine and Pierce Pond will bring you some time for reflection and peace.

    Best --- Jim Young aka Slim Jim or The Karma Kid GA>ME 1979

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Karma Kid at age 18? That's a pretty funny name:) Thanks for your support! We appreciate it.

      Delete