Sunday, June 24, 2012

:)

Thought I'd share an email one of my sixth-grade students sent to me recently that put a smile on my face. This year in school I often gave the students updates of Paul's journey. They loved his Nutty story and looked forward to meeting Paul, as well as, Nutty.


Mrs. Bernhardt, I was terrified when I heard what happened with Paul. I feel really bad about it. However, you raised a great child. You should be very proud of your son. He followed his dreams. You're a wonderful person and teacher, best of luck to you. I dont even know what to say. When my mom told me, I was really sad. Have a great summer, and look at the positive. He's hiking his way up to heaven. ~ Kevin C.

2 comments:

  1. Aww! That's so sweet! And he's right. You raised one hell of a son, Mary. I'm so glad the hiker crew came to be a part of his funeral, and even more glad they are taking Paul to Katahdin with them. I shed some tears when I read that, and it takes a lot to make me cry. How touching of a sentiment that is. Paul touched many lives. As part of the section hike I am doing, I am going to take a photo of Paul with me on the trail. He will never be forgotten by the AT family.
    Do you still have Nutty with you? I hope so. I enjoyed reading Achilles journal entries when Paul found Nutty. I've been following Achilles for quite awhile now and I'm so glad those two enjoyed those many miles together, and enjoyed the trail with Nutty in tow until his paws couldn't take anymore. What a cute dog.
    You're a strong woman, Mary. Keep standing tall, cry when you need to, know that we are all thinking of you. I saw your post on WhiteBlaze too. I am CorporalDusty on there. If you need anything, don't hesitate to look up the WhiteBlaze crew, send a message etc. I know they'd be happy to help in any way possible. A lot of us have also written the ATC to get Paul recognized as a 2000 miler. Praying they grant that. For all Paul accomplished and the people whose lives he touched, he embraced the spirit of the AT and deserves it.
    I still think of your son everyday. I hope many learn from this accident, however I hate that it takes something like this for people to be educated. I will spread the word and hopefully accidents like this can be prevented.
    Hugs, love and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. :) Best wishes to your family

    ReplyDelete