Sunday, June 24, 2012

Happy Times with Nutty

We've been checking out some of the videos Paul made. I can't help but smile hearing his voice and seeing his smile. Thank you to the person who invented video! He enjoyed singing in the woods with no one around. He used to sing at home, but I suppose he couldn't sing as loud as he wanted. We live in a row house. Thin walls and homes attached on both sides! Nutty is sleeping, probably exhausted from hiking.

15 comments:

  1. Mary,

    I am so happy you have videos, and pictures and stories (from all of Paul's friends...not just the hiking family). I never met your son, but I would have loved to have met him. He lived a relatively short life, but he touched so many lives. He touched lives in such a profound way. I hope you take comfort in knowing he will live on in the hearts of all who knew him, all who hiked with him, as well as the rest of his hiking family.

    I recently moved to Maine, and have been drooling over the idea of hiking the AT. In the meantime, I am contenting myself with smaller hikes. I will be thinking of Parkside...Paul...when I climb Katahdin next month. Thank you for continuing to share your son with us. I am also thankful for Achilles, Catwoman, and all of Parkside's friends who are making sure he finishes what he started.

    Parkside will forever be part of the Appalachian Trail.

    Paul makes me think of a poem I read my freshman year of college. I grew up in Washington state and Jody Bergsma has an art gallery in Bellingham. One of her poems has always helped me through the hardest parts of life... It isn't much to offer... I just want you to know there are those of us out there, who wish we could do more to help your family.

    I Can

    "Keep your sails set through the night, for even in the dark, there's light. Life holds happiness more than it seems; it's never too late to follow your dreams... Life renews and love forgives and the hope of childhood... forever lives." Jody Bergsma

    Water Rat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome poem. I'm going to write it down and keep it in my purse to read whenever I need a pick me up. Thanks:)

      Delete
  2. Kathy (Poopfinder)June 24, 2012 at 7:49 PM

    Gee Wow. I met your son Paul, albeit it very briefly. My sister and I are (slowly) section hiking the AT southbound in Shenandoah National Park. Back in April, we saw your son and Achilles at the Big Meadows wayside getting some chow. I remembered them when we passed them on the trail the next day. I can't recall exactly, but I believe it was somewhere between Little Stony Man and Fisher's Gap. I joked to them about how fast they hiked (compared to us). I don't remember exactly what was said, but I do remember that Paul (and Achilles) struck me as very kind, gentle and humble young men.

    ~ Poopfinder
    (aka Kathy. I hate it when you can't pick your own trail name)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Poopfinder? Name is pretty funny. I know what it's like to be a Poopfinder with two healthy dogs.

      After speaking to hikers, I realize now how fast they were going. I thought most hikers were doing 20-25 miles nearly every day. I really didn't know all that. Both were beautiful, strong, healthy boys on a mission-finish before July. Achilles should be finishing by July 1. Take care:)

      Delete
  3. This is Butterfly (Poopfinder's Sister, aka Jennifer). We met him heading up to Little Stony Man. It's funny who you remember and who you don't (we see alot of hikers). Paul & Achilles did stand out. They looked so happy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Although I never met Parkside, I felt like I knew him and Nutty from Achilles' posts. How heartbreaking this is. Tonight I am atop Mt greylock in the lodge and still thinking about you all. Later a poet will be reading her poetry here and I feel as though it will be my own "service" at such a sad time. My heart goes out to you.
    Kay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kay. Enjoy the sunrises and sunsets. Paul did. He took many pictures capturing these amazing moments in time. Have a safe journey.

      Delete
  5. Christine McMenaminJune 25, 2012 at 4:05 PM

    Thank you for posting this blog. We have many happy memories of Paul at our house. He was a special young man who always called me Mom:) I know you can hear me Paul....Thank you for all the uplifting support you gave to all of us! Marc always considered you his funfilled brother. You took Brian under your wing and taught him how not to get caught doing silly things, his heart is aching, your last text and picture will forever be in his mind. He was proud to consider you his "big brother". Alana, although you had such a short while took to you as a very special friend whom everyone loved. What can I say Paul? I can't ask you what you want to eat, what your doing, your memory of standing in the kitchen talking away everyday are dearly missed. We love you and have missed you since you set out to hike one of your lifes goals. You did it, and everyone who had the pleasure of knowing you are honored to have had you in their lives. Your our forever Angel looking down on us. Make sure you watch out for us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mom Christine. You showed Paul so much generosity by welcoming into your home almost EVERY night. I know he loved you and the boys. I always felt good that he was going to a place to hang out, and not roaming the streets or doing God knows what. I find myself looking towards the door now waiting for him to barge in with his bike, headphone on, and a big smile after returning from your house. Give Brian a big hug for me!

      Delete
  6. ....beautiful video....thank you.....(didn't realize parkside was talented this way, too!).....brings back very nice memories......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) Paul also liked to do impersonations. He had a good ear and enjoyed mimicking people. He made two videos. They are on You Tube. He posted them before he left (pre-beard). Enjoy!

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3PVwljaVZo

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvpTkswQuKo&feature=relmfu

      Delete
  7. ....wow!.....ahhhhh.....would have been nice to get to know parkside better.....again....these snippets mean so much to us.....thank you...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Loved the videos (this one and the 2 on YouTube). His impersonations had me in stitches!! Awwww Thanks for sharing them, Mary. I'm sure they mean the world to you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What an amazing person. Anyone who met him, must have been extremely lucky.

    ReplyDelete