Thursday, June 14, 2012

June 14, 2012

Late night call from Paul yesterday. Sounded sleepy. He said he had put in extra miles and ate a large meal that was making him very tired. He had an unexpected request...to please send his passport. Huh? Well, since he's ahead of schedule and expecting to finish almost a week early, he's going to head north to Canada. Montreal actually. There's a jazz festival http://www.montrealjazzfest.com/default-en.aspx
he wants to go to. He will be staying with Cat Woman,  the fellow hiker friend he walked the Whites with.

In addition to the passport request, he asked for some batteries, food, and a copy of Walden Pond by Thoreau. He hopes to be in Monson, Maine by Monday to pick up the package. Then it's off to the 100 Mile Wilderness. Sounds like an awesome way to end:)



  What is the 100 Mile Wilderness?

The 100 Mile Wilderness is the northernmost section of the 2179 mile long Appalachian Trail which runs along the mountainous region of the Eastern seaboard from Springer Mountain in Georgia to Katahdin in Maine. The 100 Mile Wilderness is considered by many to be the most remote and inaccessable section of the entire Appalachian Trail. While the 100 Mile Wilderness is not a “true” wilderness, the character of the land, the rugged terrain, the pristine lakes and ponds and the far reaching and unspoiled views encompass the emotional feelings of being isolated from the hustle and bustle of the civilized world. What the 100 Mile Wilderness is, in fact, is a narrow Trail corridor, roughly 1000 feet wide, which passes through a working forest. Bordered on both sides of the Trail by large, private landowners and State lands, the 100 Mile Wilderness is part of the National Park system and maintained by Volunteers of the Maine Appalachian Trail Club.








8 comments:

  1. I'm SO sorry to hear about your son. I will be attempting to hike the NY section of the AT next month and will most definitely hike some miles in his memory. I know words cannot heal what you are feeling right now, but I have been thinking and praying for him non-stop since I heard about what happened. Please accept my most sincere condolences and hugs sent from Upstate. I wish there was something I could say or do to make things that much easier.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words. Good luck on your journey:)

      Delete
  2. 'They always say it's the people who make the trail so amazing. My son, "Rayo' s currently on the trail and I therefore feel somewhat of a connection on those hiking the hike.
    I want to extend my sympathy to you and your family for the loss of your amazing son
    Yes amazing for being the free spirit to hike the hike. Walking that trail day after day he lived and experienced more than many people do in a lifetime. May you find comfort in those around you and in knowing that even a stranger like me has you in my thoughts and prayers

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so sorry for your loss. I am a nobo thru hiker and just got to Maine. I heard many great things about Paul and was looking forward to catching up to him. He was well liked here. It is very sad news that hurts us all. You are in my prayers. Words cannot express sorry we all are. -Bomber

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you:) Enjoy each moment of the rest of your journey. Please be careful of the cold water, and never go out alone if you can avoid it.

      Delete
  4. Mrs. Bernhardt,
    My girlfriend and I were friends with Parkside early in his hike down south - we met and spent a few days with him in Hot Springs, NC. He was one of my favorite people on the trail this year and we planned on seeing each other in NYC after we finished. If you could email me at sharkey@sharkey.com, I want to share with you something he wrote in a register in Vermont, one of Phillip Maglursky's poems. Thank you, Sharkey! & Rummy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Check your email. There's one from me:)

    ReplyDelete