We talked to the hikers who were there at the end. Basically, he left his tent and decided to go down to the pond for a swim. He was alone and did not inform the others at the shelter. He swam about 150 yards towards a dock. He had about 30 more yards to go when most likely his leg (s) started to cramp. He screamed out for help a few times. The hikers in the shelter heard him and rushed down to the pond. They saw him go down, and he never surfaced again. He was too far out for them to get to him in time. Two of the hikers, Achilles and Carpenter, made multiple attempts to find him, but couldn't. Rescue workers retrieved his body around 11:30 P.M. My husband and I were notified the next day.
Today is the funeral. Yesterday we had a wake for Paul. I met friends from high school, college, and the neighborhood boys he played baseball, football, and basketball. An army of caddies and a few members from the country club he worked at for the last five summers came to pay their respects. He was loved by many. We heard story after story how much Paul affected lives. He truly was a beautiful person.
Below is the eulogy I intend to present today at his funeral. I will do my best to read it with pride and dignity. I'll ask Paul to give me strength.
Thank you everyone for coming to the church today. My family and I appreciate your kind words and support during this time.
Paul as you all know was a really awesome kid. He meant so much to you all and to us. In February when he left for the Appalachian Trail, I was fearful of something happening to him.
I envisioned crazed intruders at the campsite, hungry bears, poisonous snakes, or a tick biting him and infecting him with Lyme disease. I knew he was at risk and it scared me to think of him helpless. As time went on, I started relaxing more, feeling more comfortable, as he became more experienced. He was so happy, so I was happy. Comfortable. Unfortunately, the pond-the cramps in his legs - took him away from us forever.
After the news about Paul, all I could feel was sadness-a great sense of disappointment-not for us, but for Paul. He had less than 150 miles to go after hiking over 2,000 miles. He had about two weeks to completion.
For four months, he had been walking-hiking-towards this goal to reach Katahdin Mountain in Baxter State Park in Maine. He didn’t get to complete his goal. And I know how much this would frustrate him.
Paul didn’t like to do things half way. When he put his mind to something, he would go all the way. He was a purist about things. For instance, when he was a kid he was on a “Bad News Bears” kind of team. I remember him coming home with a pitcher’s net and practicing for hours in the backyard to improve his pitch. When he realized it was more than good pitching his team needed, he decided to motivate his teammates. He would go to games with his pockets full of quarters and would offer them to anyone on the team who caught a ball or made a good play. He tried to motivate them and make them care more about the game.
During his middle school years, baseball was his passion. He was consumed 100%. He knew all the stats for all the Yankee players and more. He read large books about the History of Baseball, the History of the Yankees, biographies of Derek Jeter, Satchel Paige, and Joe DiMaggio. In the bathroom to this day, is a Baseball Trivia book he memorized.
The games up the block with the Weeks Lane crew were played all summer long and drove the neighbors crazy. Each game was intense, loud, and like a World Series every day. Paul helped organize the games and players. When he would come home, he organized and played the Fantasy Baseball game on his Xbox. Paul was a committed individual at a young age.
At 16, he told me about his plans to save money, get a license, and buy a car. On his 17th birthday, we were in a Brooklyn chop shop together buying his first car. He proudly handed the car dealer his $7,000 in cash he had saved from working at the club for two years. He knew the car type and color he wanted and wouldn’t give in.
Despite all the heeded warnings from his father and uncles, he went ahead and bought it. It actually turned out to be a pretty good car for the past three years. His main reason for having the car was to get him to and from work. He set that goal and made it happen.
The Fresh Meadows Country Club was an important part of his summers for the last five years. He was committed to working at the club. While other kids were at the beach, hanging out, enjoying their days off, Paul was at the club six days a week, sometimes from 6 AM-8PM. He worked his butt off caddying, helping the starter, parking the carts, and cleaning up the bag room. He was awarded a caddy scholarship, which helped to pay nearly half his tuition at Hunter College. He was a responsible kid who took his job seriously. And he continued to save his money to support his goals.
When he got his mind set on walking the trail, he of course, did not want to just be a section hiker, he felt the need to be a thru hiker. This meant he had to complete the whole trail from Georgia to Maine. For about a year and a half before, he trained daily in his room working out to a P90X video, became a full vegetarian, and walked or biked to many beautiful places in Brooklyn, Queens, and Manhattan.
He read books, journals, and countless info on line about the trail. He again had a goal and it was full steam ahead.
Along the trail, he had met so many amazing people, such as fellow hikers, hostel owners, townspeople, and trail angels who provided him with food and shelter. He loved meeting the people, as much as, he loved the incredible beauty of the natural world he was surrounded by.
So because of Paul’s commitment to doing things all the way, and to honor his dedication to completing the Appalachian Trail, his beloved hiker friends; Cat Woman, Swivel, Spiral, Germanator, Achilles, and Drop Out have agreed to take some of his ashes with them to Katahdin Mountain to ensure that Paul will achieve his goal.
Thank you everyone.
So very, very sorry to hear of your son's passing ~ I am positive that all AT hikers who read this will be filled with grief and sadness that one of our own died on the Trail.
ReplyDeleteIn God's time, Paul just a moment away ~~~
Snoopy
We wish you and your family strength and peace in dealing with this tragic loss.
ReplyDeleteAchilles' Family
Please contact me marybernhardt65@gmail.com I'd like to talk to you, but don't have your number. Thank you.
DeleteDeepest sympathy from North Carolina!
ReplyDeleteSo saddened by your loss. I'm hiking in NC now and didn't have a chance to meet Paul, but had been following Achilles journal the whole way. Even though we never met I still feel connected to Paul. We are all brothers and sisters on the trail. Peace and love to Paul, my trail brother, and to your family.
ReplyDeleteCarla "Prada" Akers
Jacksonville, FL
There is a calling that unless you hear, you just can't understand. He passed away fulfilling a dream that many people never even have the chance to do so. I don't know Paul, but I shared his passion and hope to fulfill my destiny one day as well. I don't know you, but I have an 11 year old son and understand your worry on that day when you hugged him in Georgia and sent him on his way. My heart goes out to you. Living in Maryland, I visit the Virginia shelters on my beloved AT often throughout the year and would love to look for Pauls entries. Hope to discover his trail name along the way. His memory will go on. He sounds like a very wonderful man. Blessings.
ReplyDeleteAs a mother of a 2012 AT thru-hiker, I want to tell you how heartbreaking it was to hear the news about your son. I send my condolences, barely imagining what you are going through, but knowing from my son, Loner’s, example, that Paul was where he wanted to be doing what he wanted to do and living life to the fullest.
ReplyDeleteYou’ve written such a beautifully profound eulogy about your amazing young man, an unusual person in times when it's easy to just let things happen. Paul had the courage to dream and the determination to make his dreams happen in so many ways and then even beyond his own goals, to help others believe in themselves so could they could witness their dreams come to life - those who may not have his vision, desire and the planning that’s needed to make it all come together. He stepped up as a mentor, example and friend. He has taught so many and will live within them and like a spiral Paul’s inspiration will flow out further and further as each life he touched, touches someone else.
I believe Paul will be beside you always, as much as during the funeral when you speak the eulogy.
And I’m so glad you shared his story with all the people who love or will come to love the Appalachian Trail. From your very first post it was obvious how much you loved him and how close you were, as well as how worried you were.
As the mother of an Appalachian thru-hiker, and I needed to writer a blog as well, to stay sane and feel connected to my son. So I know exactly how you felt that first day he set off and you had to drive away. But it’s what he wanted and there’s no point in stopping our loved ones from following the dreams that are so important to them. You did the right thing that day.
Because of your blog, every hiker who has hiked before, or was part of the 2012 moving community, or will hike in the future, will know what your son was like and how much you loved him. The photos of him smiling tell me, that like my son, there is nowhere else in the world Paul would rather have been.
Like other hikers, they knew as they set off that for them all the risks were worth what they would learn about themselves as they wound their way north. He was able to do something few can do, and in the process, discovered the depth of his authentic self – the muchness of Paul, the core essence of himself which he'd already tapped, even being so young, but which must have flourished during his journey. Many never have the courage or find the time to challenge themselves to be the best and themselves.
He was an extraordinary young man and now leaves an extraordinary legacy.
I’m so glad you made the decision to have Parkside’s hiker friends carry his ashes to Katadhin. It’s where he should be and he will forever be an inspiration to every hiker on the trail.
I applaud you for being so strong, and it won't be easy, and I can only imagine what you are going through, but if you ever need someone to talk to, please leave me a private message on White Blaze. I’m at CarolinaATMom. I may not be able to say much to help, but I can listen and I can partially understand. Like the hikers on the trail who will step up and do everything they can to help another hiker, the families are here to help each other too.
Gail Gray, mother of Jeff Gray, Loner
I am so sorry for your loss. I did not know your son, but we share the AT connection. It sounds like he was an amazing person who was loved by many.
ReplyDeleteBlisters
Thank you all for your kind words. I hope any hikers reading Paul's story will understand the necessity of having someone with you when you go swimming. Exhaustion, dehydration, and cold water can all put you at risk of drowning. Paul was in great physical condition, but he didn't make it to the dock. 200 yards is far, but it would not be impossible for him. One of the above conditions caused him to most likely to cramp and lead to his death. If he had others with him, he may have had a chance. Be cautious. Be safe. Come back home.
DeleteI was at the wake yesterday, as well as the church, because I met Paul through his high school friends (like Gavin). He was always such a gentleman... if I didn't see him around a friend's house but he was there, he'd always come up to me to say hello and catch up. He was so excited as he was preparing for his trip; I'm a reporter and I told him when he came home, I'd write an article about him and his journey, which he laughed about! You did the right thing by being so supportive of him, as your blog posts through the months have clearly indicated.
ReplyDeleteI know Paul was absolutely there for all of us at the church today as you did your eulogy, and what a beautiful eulogy from such a beautiful person. And you definitely did it with pride and dignity -- I can't imagine one person in the whole church who wasn't proud of you, whether they knew you well or not. The priest was right -- your family really is so special. I know I don't know you well, and I didn't know Paul as well as I would have liked, but he was an incredible guy as everyone knows from one minute with him, and it was definitely due to how he was raised.
I'm so sorry everyone has to go through this right now. The service was beautiful -- "Let It Be" was a perfect choice, too. Always know that you have friends of Paul who would be more than glad to always come visit and keep his memory alive, as well as those great hikers I met these past couple of days.
All the best,
Ali
Thanks so much Ali.
DeleteI have follwed this for the past week, feeling personally involved. We learned about Parkside from Tolstoy, a fellow hiker with Paul (he's Allen to me!). I believe Parkside had passed him a few days before when Tolstoy took some zero days, actually trying to slow down so as to reach Katahdin by July 1.
ReplyDeleteOur own son Buhdda/Lee was a southbounder in 2006. He didn't finish, as he stopped to "smell the roses too many times" and it got too cold. I realized when reading your story, Mary, that I have remained angry at my son for not finshing (not having the drive, focus, whatever!). We had invested a lot to support him, but I had gotten off track as to the goals, my goals for him were different than his.
Anyway, this story has taught me to let go and to look at him with joy that he is still here with me, despite his prediciliction for not finishing things! He had such a great experience on the trail. Your words have been theraputic to me.
It occured to me that you write this on the longest day of the year, and that this will be the longest "season" in your life... letting go and starting each day AP - after Paul.
Mom to mom, I send my sympathy
Lisa
Thanks, we as parents can only guide them. Buhdda's journey was Buhdda's journey. Glad to hear he had a great experience. I've been looking through some photos Paul took, and I am amazed at the beauty of the trail.
DeleteTake care.
....thank you for being so generous in sharing this difficult-to-share information about your son.....not that we can even begin to imagine your grief, but for us, (hikers who had the pleasure of meeting and hiking with parkside briefly), it is a comfort to at least hear a little bit more about his life (which seems to have been so well-lived!).....we celebrate that, but want you to know we are attempting in whatever small and impossible-to-relate-to way that we can, to share the pain of your grieving as well....our heartfelt "intercession" for you, your family and parkside's close friends is that God would comfort you as only He can, and that you would somehow sense that comfort.....
ReplyDelete....we are "maw and paw" on the trail (deb and charlie tucker), and we first met parkside at the woodshole hostel near pearisburg, va.....paul struck us as very mature for his age, with a good sense of responsibility (he was in the process of doing "the best thing" in terms of caring for "nutty").....he was polite, personable and actually seemed as if he enjoyed engaging in conversation with us two ol' "geezers".....
....but mostly i remember his smile and the twinkle in his eye when asked to share around the dinner table that evening what he was thankful for.....he sat up straight and proud and said, "i'm thankful to be young"!......
....there is a saying that sometimes paw and i have quoted half in jest : "youth is wasted on the young"......not so in our young man parkside!....if only more young people could be half so serious as he in finding the "marrow" of life, EVEN in their more "tender" years.....parkside seemed to be a leader in this respect...
....we had a quick visit with paul at a famous landmark on the trail : "angel's rest"....we enjoyed the view for a few moments while we discussed the best way to get a picture of nutty perched on a rock....in true hiker style, parkside declined, as i think he and nutty both were anxious to get to the burgers and icecream at the DQ!...we enjoyed his company only briefly, off and on, over the next 24 hours, once as he paused at our stealth camp near the rice field shelter, where, after inviting him to pitch his tent there with us, we shared water information with him (as he, being the extremely strong and focused hiker that he was, was intent in reaching his goal for the day!).....and then once more the next morning, when he caught up to us and paused to talk and give nutty some treats.....
.....after that, we were "connected" only by our desire to always search out his entries in the trail registers....they were always bright, well written and very entertaining!....i could always count on a smile when reading parkside's entries!....our hope was to follow his entries all the way to katahdin.....paw and i are now home......perhaps parkside is, too.....
.....paul was a special young man, and we were so blessed to have become acquainted with him.....i am so sorry for your incredible loss and i pray God's grace and mercy in your hearts in the coming days....
...i offer the hope that you will see him again one day....and the words of Jesus : I am the Resurrection and the Life!
.....ps......here's a picture of parkside at woodshole (i think there's one before or after it, too) : http://www.trailjournals.com/photos.cfm?id=659470
DeleteI love the "I am thankful to be young!" He looks like he was enjoying the company and food a lot:) Thanks for sharing your memories.
DeleteMy sincere condolences. I met Paul twice on the trail. The first was before he got his trail name. We were coming down off Snowbird Mountain headed toward Max Patch. I was stopped, sitting on the trail adjusting my footwear when he passed, stopped, and we chatted. He was a little down that day because he couldn't find anyone to hike with him who would keep his 20 mile per day pace.
ReplyDeleteThe second time I met him was entering High Point State Park in NJ exactly two months to the day later, on May 6th. You can read about that on my blog.
http://www.pjwetzel.com/2012/05/connections.html
I put up another photo of him taken that day on Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=3428616670646&l=173b262047
Paul made a real impression on me, and I am just devastated to hear this news.
PJ, aka 'Seeks It'
I know how you feel. I like the picture a lot. He's glowing:)
DeleteSo Sorry Prayers are with you all.
ReplyDeleteNever thought leg cramps could be devastating.
I never hiked the trail, but have been reading journals for two years, will section hike maybe next year.
Iam reading and following on peoples journeys and feel like I get to know these special people who share with us.Sounded like a Amazing young Man,Parkside will be missed.
:)
DeleteSo very, very sorry to hear about your loss. I thru-hiked the trail eight years ago and didn't know your son, but find this so tragic, especially after he had come so far-- clearly a very determined person because you can't make it that far that fast unless you are a very focused and driven. (But he also seems like he was a lot of fun...). I remember Piece Pond as one of the most peaceful places on the trail, a truly beautiful spot. No doubt that in the days leading up to this, he was experiencing the magic of Maine, this incredible surreal feeling that sets in around that time on the trail for a nobo hiker.
ReplyDeleteI agree with you. I've been thinking about how he was feeling at the time. He must have been so pumped, so excited for himself to be nearing the end of the trail. In addition, he must have been supersensitive to all his surroundings.
DeleteWhen he saw the pond, he couldn't resist. Probably just wanted to dive right in.
Words cannot express my sorrow for the loss of your son. Our son also did a thru hike of the AT in 2007 at the age of 19 and it breaks my heart to read of your son's drowning in Pierce Pond. We live on the AT in Vermont and Achillies stayed with us when he passed through our neck of the woods. Even though we did not meet you son I feel like I knew something about him through Achilles Trailjournal postings. My deep sympathy to you and your family.
ReplyDeleteThank you:)
DeleteSo sorry to hear this adventure ended as it did. My condolences & sympathy at this difficult time. I hope Paul's memories and God's Grace bring peace to your family & friends.
ReplyDeleteFishnwhistle
Thanks Fishnwhistle:)
Delete