Friday, June 29, 2012

June 29, 2012-Summit Mt.Katahdin

Before noon today, we received a phone call from Catwoman atop Mt. Katahdin. Achilles, Swivel, Spiral, Germanator, Drop Out, and Catwoman walked through the 100 Mile Wilderness together and completed the journey. Paul was with them in spirit. They conducted their personal memorial to him up at the top. When they descend the mountain, a group of Paul's neighborhood friends will be there to meet them, and they plan to go out to dinner together. The celebration is bittersweet, but such is life.
Later this month, Mark, Julia, and I plan to visit the Pond and meet with some people in Maine who helped take care of Paul following his drowning and enabled his safe return home.

We want to thank all of the hikers who have expressed their condolences and shared their stories through this blog. When I started it, it was mainly for our family. It was private and helped us stay connected to our Pauly. Since his death, it allowed many to connect with his story.

As his parents, we were always proud of him-from day one. There are no words to describe the kind of joy he brought into our lives. He inspires us now to continue. I speak to him many times a day. Mainly I ask him to give me strength. I need his strength.

Thank you everyone for all your support. I may post some more pictures in the future, but not really sure. I felt it fitting to end this blog today since Paul has completed his journey.

Sending love to all, especially all you hikers, dreamers, independent-thinkers, and sensitive individuals out there who like Paul aspire to do more than the ordinary with your lives.

Sincerely,
Mary Bernhardt









6 comments:

  1. How gracious and brave of you to continue to post updates to this moment. I can't imagine how difficult it must be. You may not know it but your thoughtfulness is allowing other who have spent even a brief time with Paul to have some closure and feelings of peace knowing that he is on top of Katahdin.

    Martha & Bob
    Rt 501

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for this - I thru-hiked in 2002 and it changed my life, I went on to work as a ridgerunner for two seasons out of Baxter State Park, met my fiance up there, we're getting married @ Katahdin Stream in September. You get the idea. I'm glad to see your son's ashes made the last climb. It's only fitting. The AT and long distance hiking community is so saddened by this tragedy. Pierce Pond to many hikers is such a benign place, it's hard to imagine a darker side. Peace, Bluebearee GAMA02

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to thank you for sharing Paul with us. I regret I won't have the opportunity to meet him in person, but I can't help but feel that the hiking community has lost a real friend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you once again for your wonderful posts, Mary. I'm so glad the gang made it safely. I'm sure Paul is smiling down on everyone, and he was most definitely there. To that, I bid Paul a heartfelt congratulations. His journey now is complete. The gang is an absolutely amazing group of hikers. You are so blessed to have had them along with Paul and yourself for this journey. God be with you. Paul will be remembered by many, and I have a wonderful photo of him at the Harriman State Park entrance that will accompany me as I complete the NY section. He will forever be in my heart. God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The picture of him at start of blog he looks soo young
    The pictures as he progresses looks like he became a
    man & quiet a man at that

    God bless

    ReplyDelete
  6. I want you to know that your son has been so inspirational to me. You are such a good person and Paul was lucky to have you. Paul is so inspirational to me. And I want you never to forget how lucky Paul was to have you. You did everything you could and you did the best. Not only Paul is inspirational to me but all the hikers out there are too. Paul will always remain in my heat and everybody else's. God Bless

    ReplyDelete